After 127 years without Journals baseball, the team is reformed in 2014 as the The Journals of Hayward.
Notice base ball field in right hand, possibly The J’s on the field. Current location of Hayward Plaza across the street from the new library.
Original Hayward Journals
Front row seated left to right: Powell, Mgr. George Oakes, and W.Smalley. Back row left to right: Clark,Dyer, G.Smalley,Owens, Cahill, Dyer and Long. Team mascot Tim Cowles is seated with bat. 07/03/1887.
HAYWARDs JOURNAL HISTORY
1877 “THE HAYWARD JOURNAL” newspaper founded by Charles Coolridge.
1882 GEORGE OAKES purchased THE HAYWARD JOURNAL from Frank Dallam.
When the town was incorporated on March 11, 1876, it was officially named “Haywards” after the landmark hotel. The “s” was dropped several years later. Hayward’s climate, soil, and perfect location in the heart of the Bay Area have spurred tremendous growth for decades. Following World War II, housing developments began replacing farms and ranches. Between 1950 and 1960, the population increased fivefold from 14,000 to 72,000, and has continued to grow ever since. Today, Hayward is home to the second-most diverse population in California, one of the nation's first annual gay proms, the state's first Japanese garden, and the longest-running Battle of the Bands in America.